📖 今天要学习的句子
When you have repeated a story to yourself for years, it is easy to slide into these mental grooves and accept them as a fact. In time, you begin to resist certain actions because “that’s not who I am.” There is internal pressure to maintain your self-image and behave in a way that is consistent with your beliefs. You find whatever way you can to avoid contradicting yourself.

The more deeply a thought or action is tied to your identity, the more difficult it is to change it. It can feel comfortable to believe what your culture believes (group identity) or to do what upholds your self-image (personal identity), even if it’s wrong. The biggest barrier to positive change at any level—individual, team, society—is identity conflict. Good habits can make rational sense, but if they conflict with your identity, you will fail to put them into action.

On any given day, you may struggle with your habits because you’re too busy or too tired or too overwhelmed or hundreds of other reasons. Over the long run, however, the real reason you fail to stick with habits is that your self-image gets in the way.

This is why you can’t get too attached to one version of your identity. Progress requires unlearning. Becoming the best version of yourself requires you to continuously edit your beliefs, and to upgrade and expand your identity.
当一个故事在你心里反复上演了数年,你便很容易陷入这种思维定式,将其奉为事实。久而久之,你会开始抗拒某些行为,只因为 “那不是我会做的事”。为了维护自我形象、言行与信念保持一致,内心会生出一股无形的约束力。你会想尽一切办法,避免做出任何自相矛盾的举动。

一种想法或行为与自我认同的绑定越深,就越难被改变。即便某些观念或做法是错误的,信奉身处文化环境中的主流观点(群体认同),或是做出符合自我形象的举动(个人认同),仍会让人感到心安理得。而无论在个人、团队还是社会层面,积极改变面临的最大阻碍,都是身份认同的冲突。有些好习惯在理性层面完全成立,但一旦与你的自我认同相悖,你终究无法将其付诸实践。

在生活中的某一天,你或许会因为太忙、太累、压力太大,或是其他无数种理由,难以坚持自己的习惯。但从长远来看,你无法长期坚持习惯的真正原因,是自我形象在从中作梗。这正是为什么你不能过于执着于某一种身份定位。成长进步的过程,本身就包含着 “忘却固有认知” 的功课。想要成为更好的自己,你需要不断修正自己的信念,升级并拓展自我身份的边界。
When you have repeated a story to yourself for years, it is easy to slide into these mental grooves and accept them as a fact.
当你多年来反复对自己讲一个故事时,容易陷入这些心理模式并将其视为事实。
Repeated a story to yourself[rɪˈpiːtɪd ə ˈstɔːri tə jɔːˈsɛlf]
反复对自己讲述一个故事
Ex: He repeated the story to himself to find comfort in difficult times.
“Repeated”强调了持续的行为,“story”是内心自我讲述的内容,“to yourself”指的是个人内心的反思或对话。
Slide into[slaɪd ˈɪntuː]
滑入
Ex: He slid into a bad habit without realizing it.
“Slide into”表示渐渐地陷入某种状态,通常是无意识的过程。
Mental grooves[ˈmɛntl ɡruːvz]
心理轨迹
Ex: These mental grooves are hard to escape because they shape our daily thoughts.
“Mental grooves”指的是长期养成的心理习惯或固定思维方式,通常是无意识形成的行为模式。
Accept them as a fact[əkˈsɛpt ðəm æz ə fækt]
将其视为事实
Ex: He accepted the results as a fact, even though they were not final.
“Accept them as a fact”表示把某些信念或想法当做事实接纳,通常带有认同的意思。
In time, you begin to resist certain actions because “that’s not who I am.”
随着时间的推移,你开始抵制某些行为,因为“那不是我”。
In time[ɪn taɪm]
随着时间的推移
Ex: In time, she learned to accept the challenges that came her way.
“In time”指的是随时间的流逝,强调一个渐进的过程。
Resist certain actions[rɪˈzɪst ˈsɜːtn ˈækʃənz]
抵制某些行为
Ex: He resisted the urge to eat junk food after working out.
“Resist”指的是抗拒、抵制,“certain actions”指的是特定的行为,通常是出于内心的抵触或信念。
That’s not who I am[ðæts nɒt huː aɪ æm]
那不是我
Ex: When she was asked to act a certain way, she said, “That’s not who I am.”
“That’s not who I am”表示对某种行为或身份的拒绝,强调个体对自己身份的认同。
There is internal pressure to maintain your self-image and behave in a way that is consistent with your beliefs.
有内在的压力去维持自我形象,并以与你的信念一致的方式行事。
Internal pressure[ɪnˈtɜːnl ˈprɛʃər]
内在的压力
Ex: He felt internal pressure to succeed even when others didn’t expect much from him.
“Internal pressure”指的是来自自己内心的压力,通常与个人的信念、价值观或期望有关。
Self-image[sɛlf ˈɪmɪdʒ]
自我形象
Ex: Her self-image was affected by how others perceived her.
“Self-image”指的是个体对自己外貌、能力和性格的认知与评价,深刻影响个人的行为与决策。
Behave in a way[bɪˈheɪv ɪn ə weɪ]
以……的方式行事
Ex: He behaved in a way that showed respect for others.
“Behave in a way”指的是按照特定方式表现或行动,通常反映个人的价值观和信念。
Consistent with[kənˈsɪstənt wɪð]
与……一致
Ex: Her actions were consistent with her beliefs.
“Consistent with”表示与某事物保持一致,强调行为与信念、原则的协调性。
You find whatever way you can to avoid contradicting yourself.
你会找到任何方法避免自相矛盾。
Find whatever way you can[faɪnd wɪˈhɛtɛvər weɪ juː kæn]
找到任何可能的方法
Ex: She found whatever way she could to get out of the situation.
“Find whatever way you can”表示尽可能地寻找解决方案,强调灵活性和多种选择。
Avoid contradicting yourself[əˈvɔɪd ˌkɒntrəˈdɪktɪŋ jɔːˈsɛlf]
避免自相矛盾
Ex: To maintain credibility, you must avoid contradicting yourself.
“Avoid contradicting yourself”指的是避免言行不一致,强调内外一致性。
The more deeply a thought or action is tied to your identity, the more difficult it is to change it.
思想或行为与身份的联系越深,改变它就越困难。
Tied to your identity[taɪd tuː jɔːr aɪˈdɛntɪti]
与身份紧密相关
Ex: His beliefs were tightly tied to his identity.
“Tied to your identity”指的是某事物与个人的身份密切相关,影响个体的认知和行为。
Difficult to change[ˈdɪfɪkəlt tuː ʧeɪndʒ]
难以改变
Ex: It is difficult to change lifelong habits without persistence.
“Difficult to change”指的是某事物改变起来具有高难度,通常是习惯或身份层面的变化。
It can feel comfortable to believe what your culture believes (group identity) or to do what upholds your self-image (personal identity), even if it’s wrong.
相信你的文化所相信的(群体身份)或者做那些维护你自我形象的事(个人身份),即使它是错误的,也会让你感到舒适。
Feel comfortable[fiːl ˈkʌmfərtəbl]
感到舒适
Ex: He felt comfortable in his new job because he was already familiar with the tasks.
“Feel comfortable”表示处于一个不需要改变的、轻松的状态,通常与自我认知和环境适应相关。
Believe what your culture believes[bɪˈliːv wɒt jɔːr ˈkʌltʃər bɪˈliːvz]
相信你的文化所信仰的
Ex: It is common to believe what your culture believes, as it shapes your worldview.
“Believe what your culture believes”指的是认同文化传承的价值观和信仰,文化是一个人的重要身份标志之一。
Upholds your self-image[ʌpˈhoʊldz jɔːr ˈsɛlf ɪmɪdʒ]
维护你的自我形象
Ex: He always does things that uphold his self-image as a successful businessman.
“Upholds your self-image”指的是通过某些行为维持自己的自我认知和公众形象,这与社会认同和自尊密切相关。
Even if it’s wrong[ˈiːvən ɪf ɪts rɒŋ]
即使它是错误的
Ex: She continued the bad habit, even if it’s wrong, because it felt familiar.
“Even if it’s wrong”强调即使行为不符合实际,个体仍会因为惯性或舒适感继续。
The biggest barrier to positive change at any level—individual, team, society—is identity conflict.
任何层面的积极变化最大的障碍——无论是个人、团队还是社会——是身份冲突。
Biggest barrier[ˈbɪɡɪst ˈbæriər]
最大的障碍
Ex: The biggest barrier to success is often the fear of failure.
“Biggest barrier”指的是最大的障碍或挑战,强调它对成功或进步的阻碍作用。
Positive change[ˈpɒzətɪv tʃeɪndʒ]
积极的变化
Ex: Positive change is what drives progress in any organization.
“Positive change”指的是有益的变化或转变,通常与个人或社会的进步和提升相关联。
Identity conflict[aɪˈdɛntɪti ˈkɒnflɪkt]
身份冲突
Ex: The identity conflict made it difficult for him to adapt to the new team culture.
“Identity conflict”表示个体在自我认知和外部要求之间的冲突,这种冲突会影响行为的改变和适应能力。
Good habits can make rational sense, but if they conflict with your identity, you will fail to put them into action.
好的习惯可能在理智上是有意义的,但如果它们与你的身份冲突,你将无法付诸实践。
Good habits[ɡʊd ˈhæbɪts]
好的习惯
Ex: Good habits are the foundation of a successful life.
“Good habits”指的是有助于个人进步和健康的行为习惯,通常是长期坚持形成的。
Conflict with your identity[ˈkɒnflɪkt wɪð jɔːr aɪˈdɛntɪti]
与身份冲突
Ex: When your actions conflict with your identity, it can cause internal struggle.
“Conflict with your identity”指的是行为与个体的自我认知不一致,这会导致认同感的困惑或行为上的障碍。
Fail to put them into action[feɪl tuː pʊt ðɛm ˈɪntuː ˈækʃən]
无法付诸实践
Ex: Despite his good intentions, he failed to put his plans into action.
“Fail to put them into action”强调了计划或目标未能转化为实际行为,通常与动机和执行力相关。
On any given day, you may struggle with your habits because you’re too busy or too tired or too overwhelmed or hundreds of other reasons.
在任何一天,你可能会因为太忙、太累、太压倒或其他成百上千的原因而与习惯作斗争。
On any given day[ɒn ˈɛni ˈɡɪvən deɪ]
在任何一天
Ex: On any given day, he is likely to be busy with work.
“On any given day”表示在任何特定的一天,强调日常生活的普遍性和不确定性。
Struggle with[ˈstrʌɡl wɪð]
与……作斗争
Ex: She struggles with procrastination every day.
“Struggle with”表示遇到困难或挑战,特别是与内心或外界的阻力作斗争。
Too busy or too tired or too overwhelmed[tuː ˈbɪzi ɔːr tuː taɪəd ɔːr tuː ˈəʊvərˈwɛlmd]
太忙、太累、太压倒
Ex: He was too busy to finish his work on time.
“Too”表示过度的,强调某种状态或情况的极端,“busy,” “tired,” 和 “overwhelmed”表示常见的负面情绪或压力。
Over the long run, however, the real reason you fail to stick with habits is that your self-image gets in the way.
然而,从长远来看,你未能坚持习惯的真正原因是你的自我形象阻碍了你。
Over the long run[ˈəʊvər ðə lɒŋ rʌn]
从长远来看
Ex: Over the long run, small savings can accumulate into a significant amount.
“Over the long run”指的是从长远的角度来看,强调时间和结果的积累效应。
Self-image gets in the way[sɛlf ˈɪmɪdʒ ˈɡɛts ɪn ðə weɪ]
自我形象阻碍了你
Ex: His self-image as a failure got in the way of his success.
“Self-image”表示个体对自己的认知,“gets in the way”指的是某事物干扰或阻碍了进展。
This is why you can’t get too attached to one version of your identity.
这就是为什么你不能对自己身份的某一版本过于依赖的原因。
Get attached to[ɡɛt əˈtætʃt tuː]
依赖于,依附
Ex: She got attached to her childhood home and had difficulty moving away.
“Get attached to”表示对某物或某种状态产生依赖或情感上的联系,强调依赖性的形成。
Version of your identity[ˈvɜːʃən əv jɔːr aɪˈdɛntɪti]
你身份的某一版本
Ex: His identity as a musician was the version of himself he cherished most.
“Version of your identity”指的是你对自己身份的某种理解或认知,可能是随时间变化的。
Progress requires unlearning.
进步需要“去学习”。
Progress[ˈprəʊɡrɛs]
进步,发展
Ex: The progress of the project was remarkable.
“Progress”表示从某个点到另一个点的前进或发展,强调不断朝着目标前进。
Unlearning[ʌnˈlɜːnɪŋ]
去学习,摆脱已知的知识
Ex: Unlearning old habits is harder than learning new ones.
“Unlearning”指的是放弃或抛弃先前学到的知识或习惯,尤其是在它们已经根深蒂固时。
Becoming the best version of yourself requires you to continuously edit your beliefs, and to upgrade and expand your identity.
成为最好的自己需要你不断地编辑你的信念,并且升级和扩展你的身份。
Best version of yourself[bɛst ˈvɜːʃən əv jɔːˈsɛlf]
最好的自己
Ex: Becoming the best version of yourself takes dedication and self-awareness.
“Best version of yourself”指的是你成为自己最理想状态的过程,强调自我提升和自我认同。
Requires you to[rɪˈkwaɪəz juː tuː]
要求你
Ex: This job requires you to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
“Requires you to”表示某件事情需要某个行动或条件,强调行为和要求的必然性。
Continuously edit your beliefs[kənˈtɪnjudʒəsli ˈɛdɪt jɔːr bɪˈliːfs]
不断编辑你的信念
Ex: You need to continuously edit your beliefs in response to new information.
“Continuously edit your beliefs”指的是不断调整或重新评估自己内心的信念系统,表示思维上的灵活性和进化。
Upgrade and expand your identity[ʌpˈɡreɪd ənd ɪksˈpænd jɔːr aɪˈdɛntɪti]
升级和扩展你的身份
Ex: Upgrading and expanding your identity can open up new opportunities.
“Upgrade and expand your identity”指的是通过改变或完善自己的身份认同来提高自我,涉及到对内在自我认同的重塑与扩展。